Articles

Are You Developing the Other 95%?

Issue link: https://resources.insideoutdev.com/i/1032647

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 0 of 1

1 Are You Developing the Other 95%? | Over the last several years, the focus on high potentials has increased exponentially. You may have heard executives or others in your organization say something like, "It is critical to our business to identify our high potential employees and develop and invest in them—they are the future of our company." This is not just lip service; companies dedicate major dollars to nurturing emerging talent. For example, today there is a department entirely focused on talent management, and research reveals that organizations refer to high potentials as the "top 5% of their talent." One of the biggest dilemmas organizations face when it comes to high potentials is the "to tell or not to tell" debate. On average, about 50 percent of companies make high potentials aware of their status, while the other 50 percent keep it confidential. One reason many companies choose to keep this information quiet is that while they can tell employees they are highly valued, they can't promise or guarantee them additional responsibilities, recognition, or pay. A second—and perhaps more important consideration—is the message this sends to the rest of the organization. If only 5% of an organization's employees are considered top talent, where does that leave everyone else? What about the other 95%? These employees feel they have potential, yet no one is investing in them. While it is critical to consider and develop the best talent, it should never be at the expense of the other 95%. Leaders should be champions of people, carrying the belief that everyone has the potential for greatness, no matter what performance level they are at currently. The key to unlocking greatness lies in bringing a structure and process to everyday decisions, so leaders can increase an individual's confidence and inspire them to even higher levels of performance. Are You Developing the Other 95%? by Bob Parsons, InsideOut Development Executive Coach Practice Leader Leaders should be champions of people, carrying the belief that everyone has the potential for greatness, no matter what performance level they are at currently.

Articles in this issue

view archives of Articles - Are You Developing the Other 95%?